Over a period of last 41 years, the Indian Institute of Packaging has been able to establish
the well equipped laboratories for testing of
various packaging aterial and packages at its principal
laboratory at Mumbai and also its branch
offices at Chennai, Kolkata, Delhi and
Hyderabad. This has become possible only due
to the continuous efforts taken by the Institute for
the up-gradation of Laboratory facilities by way
of installing microprocessor based testing equipment
(mostly imported) in the laboratory. This
step has definitely resulted in significant investment
in the testing laboratory and all these investments
have been made during the last couple of years
with the financial assistance from Ministry of Commence
and Industry, Government of India. Today,
the Institute is proud to announce that the
laboratory has got the facility for testing of over
300 parameters covering the different areas like
mechanical, chemical and physico chemical properties
of packaging materials and packages.
All these facilities are made available at its principal
laboratory at Mumbai. However, attempts have
also been taken to upgrade similar testing facilities
to all other branch offices including the new center
at Hyderabad. Every year, more sophisticated
natured testing equipments are imported and the
same are also installed to expand the horizon of
testing facilities and thus, today the Institute is being
considered as a ‘Single Window’ for providing the
services of almost all types of testing of packaging
materials and packages.
However, special care is also taken while selecting
the testing equipment for up-gradation of laboratory
facilities. In some cases, it is observed that
indigenous testing equipments are unable to provide
accurate and consistent test values as per national
as well as international standards. In such
cases, the imported testing equipment with the ‘State of art technology’ is procured with multidimensional
facilities so that the same equipment can
be used for diversified application.
The Principal laboratories of the Institute is located at its Head Office, Mumbai. The Laboratories Division has got the following laboratories :
- Consumer Package Laboratory
- Material Testing Laboratory – 1
- Materials Testing Laboratory – 2
- Optical & Barrier Properties Laboratory
- Chemical Laboratory Laboratory
- Transport Laboratory - 1
- Transport Laboratory - 2
All these laboratories are fully equipped with more than 120 testing equipments for conducting more than 350 types of tests of various packaging materials, packages and as well as ancillary materials. The testing facilities are available for the testing of the following packaging materials and packages.
- Paper - Kraft paper, writing paper, all types of coated paper,Kraft paper, photocopy paper, computer stationery paper, etc.
- Paper Board – Duplex board, Triplex Board, all types of coated board, etc.
- Plastic Films – Single layer plastic film, multiplayer plastic film.
- Plastic Laminates – Laminates with different combinations.
- Plastic Containers – Bottles, jerricans, drums,barrels, etc.
- Metal Containers - Bottles, cans, drums, composite drums, etc.
- Glass Containers -
- Boxes - Boxes, Corrugated fibre board boxes, wooden boxes, plywood boxes.
- Bags - Multilayer paper, Jute Bag, Plastic woven sacks, plastic bag, cloth bag, etc.
- Composite Containers –
- Intermediate Bulk Containers – Metal based and Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers(FIBC)
- Ancillary Packaging Materials – Wooden pallet, plastic pallet, caps & closures, pressure sensitive tape, straps, adhesives, cushioning materials, etc.